Observations for administrators tutorial
Reading Time: 2 minutes 50 seconds
This tutorial will go through:
- Creating a pathway with an observation step
- Assigning the pathway to a learner
- Performing the pathway as an observer
See How Observation App works for a overview recap.
Creating a pathway with an observation step
Step 1: Click on Observation Checklist in the side menu
Step 2: Click on Manage
Select an observation checklist
We will not be covering authoring observations in this tutorial. You should have some sample checklists when you signed up. For more on authoring see Authoring Checklists.
Step 3: Click on Add to Pathway
Step 4: Click Create New in the dialog
Step 5: Enter a name for your pathway
Step 6: Enter a description for your pathway (optional)
Have a look at your observation step, particularly next to the word "Observer".
- In our example the observer is "Store Manager".
- This means anyone who is part of the "Store Manager" group can oversee a learner performing this on-the-job training and sign them off.
Step 7: Let's edit the observation step to change "Store Manager" to the group called "Observer".
- Click on the observation step
- Click on the vertical 3 dots
- Click on Edit
- Click on Observer
- Search and select the group "Observer"
- Click Save
Assign the pathway to a learner
Step 8: Click Assign
Step 9: Click Choose Learners
Step 10: Search and select "Amy Way". Click OK
- She will be a learner who will be assessed performing on-the-job training
Step 11: Click OK to assign the pathway
Step 12: You can see a history of who you have assigned this pathway to if you click on History
Impersonate the Learner to Preview the Pathway
Impersonating a person will allow you to see the system from that user's perspective. It is safe to use as the system records it as an impersonation.
Step 13: Next to the Pathway name, click on the three vertical dots
Step 14: Select Impersonate
Step 15: Search and select Amy Way (the user you assigned the pathway to).
Step 16: In the confirmation dialog click Yes.
Allow the system to morph into Amy Way's perspective.
You will see a green bar at the top to let you know you are impersonating.
If you do not see the green bar, give your browser a refresh, and try the impersonation steps again.
An example of what you might see is below.
Click on the INFO button and you will that a dialog will pop up telling the user they cannot start this task without someone from the Observer group to oversee them.
Step 17: Un-impersonate Amy Way by clicking on UNIMPERSONATE in the top green bar.
- You will have unimpersonated Amy Way if the green bar has disappeared
- If you still see the green bar, try refreshing your browser and then click unimpersonate again
Perform the observation as an observer
Step 18: Click on People in the side menu.
Step 19: Search and select Jim Bass
- You'll see that Jim Bass is apart of the Observer group.
Step 20: Click Impersonate
Click Yes in the dialog
- Wait until the system morphs into Jim Bass'.
Step 21: Click My Supervisor Tasks.
There is a green chip with a number to indicate that Jim has an observation to perform.
Step 21: Click START on the task
Notice Jim Bass has a Start button because he is the assessor. Amy Way is the assessee, therefore cannot start the task.
Step 22: Complete the checklist as if you were assessing Amy Way performing the on-the-job training.
- Once all required items have been checked off, the sign off button will enable
Step 23: Click Sign off now to complete the observation.
You will return back to My Tasks with the task marked as complete.
Click UNIMPERSONATE to un-impersonate Jim Bass.
You have completed the tutorial for getting started with observations!